Thursday, September 7
North side of Courthouse Square
sponsored by York General
The famous Hospital Bed Races are back! The long awaited tradition returns again to this year’s Yorkfest. Teams of 5 members, (1 rider, and 4 pushers or ‘runners’) will compete against each other on our out and back course. The racing beds will be provided.
- A team consists of 5 members; 1 rider, who must ride on the bed for the entire race, and 4 pushers or ‘runners’. No person may be a member of more than one team. Winning team will be determined by best time.
- You must have a runner on each corner of the bed with at least one hand on bed at all times while running the course. Your team will receive a 10 second penalty if you fail to comply – keep your team together. All members of the team must have at least one hand on the bed when you cross the finish line or your team will be disqualified.
- Pushers will push the bed down the street to the turn around. At the point of turn around the rider will jump off the bed and perform a designated superhero ‘skill’. After skill is completed rider will jump back on the bed and team will navigate back to the starting point. Bed must be positioned in the designated area at the end of the race.
- Runners are responsible for stopping beds and maintaining an overall safe operation of propelling the bed along a pylon marked street course. Unsafe operation of the bed may be cause for disqualification. Bed must be pushed foot first.
- The bed & all team members must stay in their lane for the entire race. Team members can not interfere with opponents in any way during the race.
- Decisions made by event staff are final. No ifs, ands, or buts!
- Theme or costume attire is strongly encouraged and there will be awards for the best costumes. Keep it in good taste — children will be at this event.
- Event staff reserve the right to disqualify or remove, at its discretion, any team whose costumes are deemed inappropriate or defies the spirit of this community event.
- All runners should wear athletic shoes suitable for street running.
- All bed racers must sign the Waiver of Liability.
- Entry Fee $25.00 per team. Make checks payable to: York Chamber of Commerce
- Return completed form and entry fee to: Hospital Bed Race at Yorkfest, c/o Chamber of Commerce, 603 N Lincoln Avenue, York, NE 68467
SPACE IS LIMITED, ENTER EARLY.