We’re excited for our third annual Sip & Stroll event! This year we have even more businesses participating. Stay tuned for a detailed list and information for childcare services that will be provided by York Parks and Recreation and Kilgore Memorial Library.
We are busy working on the annual Youth Involvement Fair scheduled for Thursday, March 21. Each year, the City of York Parks and Recreation partners with the Chamber to provide this opportunity to the community. The Youth Involvement Fair is a chance for parents and grandparents to come and collect registrations and information for events and activities that will take place during the spring and summer for youth.
Last year, over 400 people came through the doors at the auditorium and went away with the necessary information to plan their family’s activities. Registrations from churches, athletic groups and camp organizations have been coming in to our office. The Chamber and Parks and Recreation are proud to provide this service to our community and look forward to this event each year. Be sure and save the date of March 21 from 5 – 7 PM for the annual Youth Involvement Fair.
Interested exhibitors, download a current registration here—>2019 Registration
Thursday, September 7
North side of Courthouse Square
sponsored by York General
The famous Hospital Bed Races are back! The long awaited tradition returns again to this year’s Yorkfest. Teams of 5 members, (1 rider, and 4 pushers or ‘runners’) will compete against each other on our out and back course. The racing beds will be provided.
- A team consists of 5 members; 1 rider, who must ride on the bed for the entire race, and 4 pushers or ‘runners’. No person may be a member of more than one team. Winning team will be determined by best time.
- You must have a runner on each corner of the bed with at least one hand on bed at all times while running the course. Your team will receive a 10 second penalty if you fail to comply – keep your team together. All members of the team must have at least one hand on the bed when you cross the finish line or your team will be disqualified.
- Pushers will push the bed down the street to the turn around. At the point of turn around the rider will jump off the bed and perform a designated superhero ‘skill’. After skill is completed rider will jump back on the bed and team will navigate back to the starting point. Bed must be positioned in the designated area at the end of the race.
- Runners are responsible for stopping beds and maintaining an overall safe operation of propelling the bed along a pylon marked street course. Unsafe operation of the bed may be cause for disqualification. Bed must be pushed foot first.
- The bed & all team members must stay in their lane for the entire race. Team members can not interfere with opponents in any way during the race.
- Decisions made by event staff are final. No ifs, ands, or buts!
- Theme or costume attire is strongly encouraged and there will be awards for the best costumes. Keep it in good taste — children will be at this event.
- Event staff reserve the right to disqualify or remove, at its discretion, any team whose costumes are deemed inappropriate or defies the spirit of this community event.
- All runners should wear athletic shoes suitable for street running.
- All bed racers must sign the Waiver of Liability.
- Entry Fee $25.00 per team. Make checks payable to: York Chamber of Commerce
- Return completed form and entry fee to: Hospital Bed Race at Yorkfest, c/o Chamber of Commerce, 603 N Lincoln Avenue, York, NE 68467
SPACE IS LIMITED, ENTER EARLY.
Check in at Noon, Pulling starts at 12:30PM Between 7th & 8th Street on Nebraska Ave A team of 4 people, using 2 ropes will pull a FARMALL “H” tractor 100 feet. The fastest time wins. A team can enter as many times as they want to improve their time. For a team to enter more than once they will need to switch out 1 member and pay the entry fee again. There will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd place prizes for the winners of each division. Teams will be divided into Men, Women, and Youth 10-13 years or 14-17 years. Limited to the first 50 teams in each division. Pre-Registrations will be accepted until September 1st with an entry fee of $40 per team, registrations day of the event will be accepted until Noon with an entry fee of $60 per team. Rules and Guidelines ~Each rope is 24 feet in length. ~The rope will be taped at 20ft. Any individual placing their hand or any part of their body within the 20 feet will be disqualified ~Ropes cannot be tied in a knot. ~The same person will be on the tractor for the entire completion. The tractor operator will serve as the safety official for the contest and can stop the contest at anytime. ~Electronic timers will be used. ~There will be a flag person to start and stop the completion. The flag person will serve as the judge. The Judge’s decision is final. ~Contestants are encouraged to wear protective gear, footwear, and gloves. ~Youth teams will be pulling a smaller tractor for their safety. The City of York, Yorkfest Committee, First United Methodist Church and volunteers for this event are not responsible for any and all accidents. Registrations are available at the York Chamber of Commerce, York First United Methodist Church, or you can print your own from www.yorkumc.com Mail or drop off entry forms & make checks payable to: York First United Methodist Church 309 East 7th St York NE 68467 M-F 9AM-4PM
Saturday September 9th, 10:00 AM
- Walkers with a float entry must be able to maintain pace with the parade. If you feel your group will not be able to keep the pace, we ask that they be placed on a float.
- Candy or promotional items cannot be thrown, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES; only handed to spectators.
- If personal injury or physical damage occurs as a result of this type of activity, parade participants will be held personally liable. However, these items may be distributed by persons walking along with the parade route.
- If you are caught throwing candy, you will forfeit future participation in the YORKFEST Parade.
- The leader or driver must maintain ¼ block spacing behind the marching band ahead of them.
- You may begin staging your float at 8:00 AM/Judging will be at 9:00 AM
- All entries must enter the staging area from Delaware Avenue. No entries can enter from the North/South (side streets)
- Chamber Ambassadors will be at the corners of the staging areas to assist you